OPN Architects was selected by Des Moines Public Library Board of Trustees to design an addition and to renovate the East Side Branch Library. The East Side Branch renovation was one component of the Des Moines Public Library’s $48 million capital improvement plan. The dated facility was greatly in need of an update. OPN’s design added a new 100-seat community room, entrance gallery, and landscaped entry walks. The interior layout was reorganized to improve way-finding and establish an identifiable sense-of-place for the children’s and young adult areas. The result was a modern, functional, and welcoming library for the city’s east side.
- Cool roof membrane to avoid heat island effect
- Maximizing indoor air quality by using low VOC emitting products and finishes
- Low E glazing on windows for improved energy efficiency
- Light shelves and advanced daylighting techniques for improved energy efficiency
- Indoor chemical and pollutant control improved indoor air quality
- Responsible use of sustainable and renewable building materials