In 2010, Mercy Medical Center set out to create the area’s only comprehensive care center. Situated on the main campus, the 100,000 square foot facility provides fully-integrated cancer services under one roof. This complex project required the skills of a collaborative design team. OPN Architects designed the exterior and landscaping while HGA Architects provided medical planning expertise and interior design. Ryan Companies and Rindernecht Construction delivered the state-of-the art building on-time and under budget.
Programming for the facility was heavily influenced by the input of patients and families, as well as healthcare professionals and industry best-practices. The design team looked critically at services, adjacencies, and process flow to come up with a design that prioritized patient comfort. The result was dramatically increased efficiency in patient care including a 33% reduction in the number of steps a patient takes during a single visit.
The center’s first floor features the expanded and improved Hall Radiation Center, along with dedicated space for the cancer resource library; coffee shop; meditation space; ReNew Image Center; massage therapy; exercise room with shower facilities; and community room. Also located on the first floor are multidisciplinary conference rooms with adjacent patient exam rooms. Just outside the facility, patients have access to two healing gardens and a fountain.
The entire second floor of the three-story facility was designed specifically for future expansion needs, a forward-thinking design advocated by other leading cancer centers around the country.
The third floor is dedicated to Surgical Oncology and the Hematology/Oncology practicing physicians of Oncology Associates at Mercy Medical Center. This space was carefully designed with patient input and includes private or semi-private infusion stations that offer patients customized temperature controls for each treatment chair, as well as heated flooring, personal storage space, natural lighting, and a view of green space.
- State-of-the-art Hall Radiation Center
- Comprehensive laboratory facility
- Onsite pharmacy equipped with the nation’s first oncology robot from Health Robotics – for precisely compounding and dispensing injectable chemotherapy medications
- Infusion suites include zoned heating, heated floors and infusion chairs, personal storage space and a view of natural green spaces
- Café located apart from infusion spaces to avoid food smells in chemotherapy treatment areas
- ReNEW, image recovery center, offers patients a private salon, as well as wigs, scarves, prosthetics and make-up
- Dedicated exercise facility with convenient, adjoining shower rooms
- Community room providing space for cooking demonstrations, webinars, teleconferencing and cancer education classes
- Two healing gardens
- Resource library
- Meditation area
- Proximity to private inpatient suites and imaging services in the Mercy Medical Center
“The Hall-Perrine Cancer Center marks the beginning of a new chapter in Mercy’s legacy of cancer care for this community, it provides fully integrated cancer services under one roof, giving patients access to leading-edge technologies; integrated services to care for body, mind and spirit; and specialized treatment and research for the best outcomes.”
— Dee Eadie, Executive Director, Hall-Perrine Cancer Center